About Me

My photo
Toronto, ON, Canada
I am a geek who doesn't look like one (so I'm told). I love talking about anything for far too long. I'm turning into my father... Which is great because I had a great Dad. I'm sure my kids won't think this while they are growing up, but with luck.. later on they will.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sounds like video game music...

Really? Well check out the vid. You see, I have heard many remarks over the years (generally about bad, repetitious music) about things that sound like video game music. It has always bothered me because all of my favourite games have had their musical scores be one of the most memorable parts of the gaming experience.

Take my favourite series. Final Fantasy. Since the first iteration of that game the music produced has been great. I will admit that in the 8bit days you really couldn't always capture the essence of the music from the modulated music that accompanied those games, but look into the future at the progression of the same theme, the same underlying score and now the essence is fully captured and generally requires symphonies to properly reproduce.

The vid I posted to me shows that video game music is true music, which can be improvised and changed around stylistically while still maintaining its essence. The theme from Mario is a piece of music that I grew up with and I love that it will be as popular for my kids as it was for me. I know this because currently both of my kids love to sing the theme from spider man. Neither have read the comic (not surprising since at 3 and 4 neither can read), and also have not seen the cartoon.

My daughter has just recently found video games. This will eventually lead to her wanting to play mario... because everyone.. everyone plays mario at some point at which point her love of the theme song will begin. Her love of good music. Usually when I hear really good music. I think.. "Now that would be really GOOD video game music!"

No comments: